    SubjectRe: [GIT] Security subsystem changes for 3.1
    On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:42 PM, James Morris <jmorris@namei.org> wrote:

    > Ok, but this conflict was in my subsystem.

    .. but it was a conflict that came from the VFS subsystem changes.

    So it was clearly a cross-subsystem conflict. The fact that the file
    was in what you consider your subsystem IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT. Because
    clearly somebody ELSE considered the change that conflicted to be part
    of THEIR subsystem!

    See?

    So by definition, if you get conflicts with something that has come
    into my tree from somebody else, then it is a cross-subsystem
    conflict. What file it happens in (and whether you consider it "your"
    file or not) is entirely irrelevant - because the important part is
    that two different maintainers worked on the same area. That's the
    definition of 'cross-subsystem conflict'.

    In contrast, if you merge two different branches that you yourself
    maintain, and have conflicts there, that's an "internal" conflict as
    far as maintenance is concerned. I don't particularly care about those
    internal conflicts, but you might want to talk to the people you work
    with if you have lots of them..

    Linus

      Last update: 2011-07-28 05:01    [W:0.033 / U:1.704 seconds]