SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] core/locking changes for v3.1
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl> wrote:

> Argh, I really need -Werror to even see warnings, compiler output just
> flies by waaaaaay too fast.

Do what I do:

make -j32 > ../makes

that way the only thing you see is the warnings (and the final link report).

That pattern was one reason why I wanted me default compile to be
warning-clean. Of course, then gcc started adding more warnings, and
it's not clean any more ("warning: statement with no effect" from the
fact that we just define many functions to '(0)' when they are
disabled) but my current personal compile config only gets four
warnings.

I realize there are *many* more warnings once you start enabling more
special code - as usual, the core code tends to be better quality, and
the further away from that base you get, the worse things get.

But it would definitely be good if most kernel developers did the
above. Do it for just your personal config - at least you'll see the
warnings in code you write (because presumably your personal config
will have that code enabled ;)

Linus

  Last update: 2011-07-25 19:57    [W:1.390 / U:0.008 seconds]