    SubjectRe: vfsmount lock issues on very large ppc64 box
    On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:40:08AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:17:08AM +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
    > > > Tim posted a patch, but it wasn't applied for unknown reasons.
    > > >

    > > Could Tim respin his patch then ?
    > Btw, it seems like most kern_mount users want this and he's still
    > missing some like devtmpfs, sysfs or ipc. What about splitting
    > kern_mount into a variant that gets a long-term reference for these
    > callers, and one that doesn't for afs/cifs/nfs automounts?

    Careful - we need to balance that on shutdown side with
    mnt_make_shortterm() before the final mntput()... Making it too
    easy just on the kern_mount side will lead to easy-to-miss bugs.
    For one thing, it's visible only on SMP boxen; for another there's
    a lot of such internal vfsmounts (pipefs, sockets, etc.) that
    are never shut down, so there'll be no easily copied examples of
    what should not be forgotten on __exit side of things in obvious

    FWIW, I had missed the original posting back in April - had been
    without net.access then and it hadn't been resent when I came back, asked
    people to resend the important ones and shitcanned the huge pile of pending
    mail from the previous month...

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-07-18 17:55    [W:0.021 / U:36.604 seconds]