    SubjectRe: Problems with hfsplus on ipods in 2.6.38+
    On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Seth Forshee wrote:

    > On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 09:26:11PM -0400, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
    > > Okay, I've applied that patch set, and it worked for me without any issues
    > > thus far. If you're interested in the debugging output from a device that
    > > doesn't work with vanilla but doesn't oops or panic with that patch set,
    > > it's attached. I'm using 32-bit x86, if that helps for tracking down
    > > differences.
    > Hrm, looks like I used %lu for sector_t instead of %llu, and that's
    > messing up the output on 32-bit builds. What I am able to see looks
    > correct though. I put up a new version of the patches with the output
    > fixed along with a new build on the bug.
    > I've had some success producing problems using scsi_debug with a 64-bit
    > build, specifically with 1K or 2K sectors. Actually a lot of odd things
    > happen with those sector sizes, and they happen whether using my patch
    > or reverting the two patches that change hfsplus to using bio, so those
    > problems seem unrelated. What I see is that the free/used space numbers
    > reported by df don't make sense given the actual files I've copied to
    > the volume. If I "fill" the volume (in quotes because really I haven't
    > copied in enough data to fill the volume, but it says it's full anyway)
    > df reports complete garbage. Then if I proceed to remove all files from
    > the volume df still reports that 50% of the space is used. These
    > problems aren't present with 512 byte or 4K sectors.
    > What I also see are GPFs in memory allocation code, which is what I
    > believe others have seen with my patch, and so far I haven't seen those
    > with the reversions. So I'm suspecting memory corruption, but I don't
    > yet see where the corruption is coming form. I found one problem, but I
    > don't suspect it's responsible for the GPFs.

    A while later, somewhat after I'd unmounted the filesystem (and sent the
    email), I got some memory allocation oopses, also, followed eventually by
    some sort of hang (userspace not working but alt-sysrq did work). So I
    agree with the memory corruption idea. Do you want corrected debugging
    output, or any other information from my actual device, or are you set
    with scsi_debug for now?

    *This .sig left intentionally blank*

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-07-15 17:53    [W:0.021 / U:0.416 seconds]