SubjectRe: Mis-Design of Btrfs?
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:00:35AM -0400, Chris Mason wrote:
> Excerpts from Ric Wheeler's message of 2011-07-15 09:31:37 -0400:
> > On 07/15/2011 02:20 PM, Chris Mason wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Ric Wheeler's message of 2011-07-15 08:58:04 -0400:
> > > [ triggering IO retries on failed crc or other checks ]

> > > By bubble up I mean that if you have multiple layers capable of doing
> > > retries, the lowest levels would retry first. Basically by the time we
> > > get an -EIO_ALREADY_RETRIED we know there's nothing that lower level can
> > > do to help.
> > >
> > > -chris
> >
> > Absolutely sounds like the most sane way to go to me, thanks!
> >

> It really seemed like a good idea, but I just realized it doesn't work
> well when parts of the stack transform the data.
>
> Picture dm-crypt on top of raid1. If raid1 is responsible for the
> crc retries, there's no way to crc the data because it needs to be
> decrypted first.
>
> I think the raided dm-crypt config is much more common (and interesting)
> than multiple layers that can retry for other reasons (raid1 on top of
> raid10?)

Isn't this a case where the transformative mid-layer would replace
the validation function before passing it down the stack? So btrfs
hands dm-crypt a checksum function; dm-crypt then stores that function
for its own purposes and hands off a new function to the DM layer
below that which decrypts the data and calls the btrfs checksum
function it stored earlier.

> In other words, do we really want to do a lot of design work for
> multiple layers where each one maintains multiple copies of the data
> blocks? Are there configs where this really makes sense?

Hugo.

--- "What are we going to do tonight?" "The same thing we do ---
every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!"

  Last update: 2011-07-15 16:09    [W:0.059 / U:0.524 seconds]