    SubjectRe: ahci_start_engine compliance with AHCI spec

    On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 04:01:17PM -0700, Brian Norris wrote:
    > I am able to reproduce the regressions seen by Rafael and Michael on
    > my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop, in case that's helpful.

    Oh yes, it is.

    > - ahci_init_one
    > -- ata_host_activate
    > --- ata_host_start
    > ---- ahci_port_start
    > ---- ahci_port_resume
    > ----- ahci_start_port
    > ------ ahci_power_up [1]
    > ------ ahci_start_engine (DRQ or BSY *will* be active) [2]
    > and later
    > - scsi_error_handler
    > -- ata_scsi_error
    > --- ata_scsi_port_error_handler
    > ---- ahci_error_handler
    > ----- sata_pmp_error_handler
    > ------ ata_eh_recover
    > ------- ata_eh_reset
    > -------- ata_do_reset
    > --------- ahci_hardreset
    > ---------- ahci_start_engine (DRQ, BSY cleared, link up)
    > I'm not sure if the "error_handler" and "hard reset" processes are
    > intended for I said I'm a little new!

    That's how it's supposed to work. EH is integral part of probing

    > I have a few other questions:
    > What operation could be putting devices in DRQ or BSY states during
    > initialization but before ahci_start_engine?

    Hmmm... I have no idea, maybe it has something to do with the first
    D2H Reg FIS device sends after link gets reset during controller init?

    > I bring up all of this because it seems that if I put some amount of
    > "wait time" between [1] and [2] above, then my system transitions from
    > DRQ to BSY and its link is connected (PxSSTS.DET == 0x3). I still
    > don't know why the device is BSY, but at least it solves my problem...
    > Perhaps I will try implementing the wait with ata_wait_register (or
    > maybe ata_wait_ready + ata_phys_link_online) on the PxSSTS.DET flags
    > and send a patch.

    Hmmm... what happens if you don't comment out ahci_start_engine() call
    from ahci_start_port()?

    > Sorry if this e-mail is too complicated or disorganized. I've been
    > racking my brain on this one for a few weeks now, and I've only come
    > up with a few half answers and some more questions. Feel free to ask
    > for more explanation, but don't worry if I don't respond immediately,
    > as I am on vacation for all of next week. If I don't get to them
    > before I leave, I will get to your replies when I return.

    Is this the same IP block that Jian Peng was using?

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-07-13 15:17    [W:0.025 / U:12.480 seconds]