SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] perf tools updates

* Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ingo,
>
> Please pull the perf/core branch that can be found at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frederic/random-tracing.git
> perf/core
>
> It adds the inverted callchains support and let one use
> parent filtering with parent sorting at the same time, because
> it appears to me that inverted callchains sorted by filtered
> parents is pretty useful, and extendable to more cool things.
>
> Anyway inverted callchains used with some different sorting combination
> in general can provide some interesting analysis flavours.
>
> Having played with it a bit. It seems to me the callee point
> of view (traditional -g callchains) is better suited to
> find the precise zoomed-in places where cpu time is most
> spent. Spot contention places, etc...
>
> OTOH, caller point of view (-G, inverted callchain), is
> for zoomed out observation, of course. It's more suited for
> global profiling. To get a big overview of where the hot bulk
> of a program is executing for example.
>
> Examples:
>
> - look at the hottest tree of call of a program.
>
> ./perf report -G -s pid --stdio
>
> 5.73% perf:11933
> |
> --- __libc_start_main
> |
> |--99.18%-- main
> | run_builtin
> | cmd_bench
> | |
> | |--89.68%-- bench_sched_messaging
> | | |
> | | |--96.11%-- create_worker
> | | | |
> | | | | |
> | | | | | |
> | | | | | | |

> - look at where kernel threads spend their time
>
> perf report -G -p kernel_thread -s parent --stdio
>
> # Overhead Parent symbol
> # ........ .............
> #
> 0.07% kernel_thread_helper
> |
> --- kernel_thread_helper
> kthread
> |
> |--50.00%-- kjournald2
> | jbd2_journal_commit_transaction
> | journal_submit_commit_record
> | submit_bh
> | submit_bio
> | generic_make_request
> | __make_request
> | __blk_run_queue
> | scsi_request_fn
> | scsi_dispatch_cmd
> | ata_scsi_queuecmd
> | ata_scsi_translate
> | ata_qc_issue
> | ata_bmdma_qc_issue
> | ata_sff_qc_issue
> | ata_sff_tf_load
> | ata_sff_check_status
> | ioread8
> |
> --50.00%-- rcu_kthread
> rcu_process_callbacks
> delayed_put_task_struct
> __put_task_struct
> free_task
> free_thread_info
> free_thread_xstate
> kmem_cache_free
> __slab_free
> [...]

Pulled, thanks a lot Frederic and Sam Liao!

This feature looks really useful.

One thing that occured to me: could we perhaps make -G the default
for -g -A profiles and keep -g the default for task-hierarchy (and
per PID) profiling? [a hint could be added to the comment section of
the output to show that there's a -g/-G distinction.]

The reason is that -G is arguably more suited for global, system-wide
profiling - and this is also the mode of display that sysprof uses
and which people got used to in general.

There is some small confusion potential from switching the view like
this but i think if we point it out in the output it should be fine:

#
# Bottom-up (-g) call-graph, use -G to view the top-down call-graph
#

#
# Top-down (-G) call-graph, use -g to view the bottom-up call-graph
#

Another thing: could we perhaps make inverted call-graphs the default
view for perf top --tui as well? That is a common 'global view'
profiling tool as well.

Finally, we should perhaps refer to them as bottom-up versus top-down
call-graphs, 'inverted' and 'normal' does not really reflect the true
nature of the call-graph, and to many people top-down is the natural
call-graph view mode ...

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2011-07-01 12:03    [W:0.056 / U:0.120 seconds]