    SubjectRe: Changing Kernel thread priorities
    On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 11:40 +0200, Armin Steinhoff wrote:
    > Hi,
    > when I read all these confusing statements here ( in german it looks
    > like an "Eiertanz") ... I can only say:
    > - do the basic stuff in a minimal kernel driver
    > - use UIO (or VFIO for PCI devices)

    I see no requirement for any of those horrid things to be used. You can
    write a full on proper kernel driver, it just cannot set kernel thread
    priorities to a sane value (let them all default to 50 or so).

    Then have a user space script or whatever set the kthread priorities.

    > and you get clean control about your real-time priorities.
    > I think changing the priorities of "interrupt threads" inside the kernel
    > could lead to strange race conditions in the kernel.

    No, changing the priority in the kernel is a perfectly sound operation,
    it just doesn't make any sense to do so since its impossible to
    determine a proper priority.

    Therefore setting a priority is a pure user policy and should not be
    done by the driver itself -- it simply cannot do it right so why bother
    doing it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-06-07 11:43    [W:0.019 / U:6.964 seconds]