SubjectRe: Change in functionality of futex() system call.
From
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM, David Oliver <david@rgmadvisors.com> wrote:

>>> What's wrong with adding a FUTEX_WAIT_NOCONSUME flag then?  Your
>>> program can use it to get exactly the semantics it wants and my
>>> program can use it or not depending on which semantics it wants.
>>>
>> 1. I would prefer not to require my programs have to check for kernel
>> version (code named "working", "regressed", and "altered") to decide
>> which parameters need to be sent to the futex call.
>
> You don't have to check for kernel version.  Just try
> FUTEX_WAIT_NOCONSUME first and retry with FUTEX_WAIT if it returns
> -EINVAL.

... and punt if that gives me an EFAULT. Possible but clumsy.
Fortunately, I'm not writing code for general consumption.

> I think you've already lost on regressed kernels regardless :-/
>
>> 2. Doing FUTEX_WAIT_NOCONSUME would change the semantics of
>> futex_wake() between the "working" and "altered" kernels, as it would
>> no longer return the number of processes woken.
>
> True, but that change couldn't affect old code because old code
> wouldn't use FUTEX_WAIT_NOCONSUME.

So, how would I find out the number of processes awakened by the
futex_wake() - I only care for statistical purposes.

>> It seems that FUTEX_WAIT_NOCONSUME would be rather like a
>> non-consuming read on a pipe.
>
> More like a nonconsuming read on an eventfd, which sounds very useful.
>  (Actually, I'm porting code from Windows to Linux right now that
> wants that feature...)
>
> The reason I bring this up now is that I've been annoyed that
> FUTEX_WAIT can be used on an R/O mapping to interfere with futexes in
> that mapping.  Under the original semantics this would have been
> pretty much impossible to fix, but the regression has been there for
> long enough that we have the option right now to fix it better instead
> of restoring the original behavior.

Not being a kernel developer, the change seems very recent - about
when I started finding my code failing with EFAULTs.

From my perspective, that's a real case of my futexes being interfered with :).

--
Cheers!

David.