SubjectRe: [debug patch] printk: Add a printk killswitch to robustify NMI watchdog messages

* Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 18:08 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> > > That's currently done from the jiffy tick, do you want to effectively
> > > delay releasing the console_sem for the better part of a jiffy?
> >
> > Yes, and we already do it in some other circumstances.
>
> We do?

Yes, see the whole printk_pending logic, it delays:

wake_up_interruptible(&log_wait);

to the next jiffies tick.

> > Can you see
> > any problem with that? klogd is an utter slowpath anyway.
>
> but console_sem isn't klogd. We delay klogd and that's perfectly
> fine, but afaict we don't delay console_sem.

But console_sem is really a similar special case as klogd. See, it's
about a *printk*. That's rare by definition.

If someone on the console sees it he'll be startled by at least 10
msecs ;-) So delaying the wakeup to the next jiffy really fits into
the same approach as we already do with &log_wait, hm?

This would solve a real nightmare that has plagued us ever since
printk() has done wakeups directly - i.e. like forever.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2011-06-06 18:21    [W:0.247 / U:0.260 seconds]