SubjectRe: Change in functionality of futex() system call.
On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 05:23:39PM +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Le lundi 06 juin 2011 à 09:28 -0500, David Oliver a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > The functionality of the futex() system call appears to have changed
> > between versions 2.6.18 and 2.6.32.28.
> >
> > Specifically, performing a FUTEX_WAIT on a read-only mapped location
> > results in an EFAULT. Although other operations, such as FUTEX_WAKE,
> > are only meaningful for writable locations, FUTEX_WAIT is useful for
> > processes with read-only access to a memory-mapped file.
> >
> > The code below illustrates the changed behavior (each of the EXPECT
> > operations succeed on the older kernel, the ASSERTs pass in each
> > case), assuming the file /tmp/futex_test exists and contains int(42).
> >
> > With the older kernel, the syscall() suspends until another process
> > changes the file and issues a FUTEX_WAKE, whereas the new behavior is
> > for an EFAULT error, independent of the file contents.
> >
> > Let me know if you need further clarification.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > David Oliver.
> >

> > #include <errno.h>
> > #include <fcntl.h>
> > #include <stdint.h>
> > typedef uint32_t u32; // for futex.h
> > #include <linux/futex.h>
> > #include <sys/mman.h>
> > #include <sys/syscall.h>
> > #include <unistd.h>
> > #include "gtest/gtest.h" // test framework to illustrate issue.
> >

> > TEST(Futex, futex_in_read_only_file_is_ok) {
> > int fd = open("/tmp/futex_test", O_RDONLY);
> > ASSERT_GE(fd, 0);
> > int* futex = static_cast<int *>(mmap(0, sizeof(int), PROT_READ,
> > MAP_SHARED, fd, 0));
> > ASSERT_NE((int *)(0), futex);
> >
> > int rc = syscall(SYS_futex, futex, FUTEX_WAIT, 42, 0, 0, 0);
> >
> > EXPECT_NE(-1, rc); // fails.
> > if (rc == -1) {
> > EXPECT_NE(errno, EFAULT); // fails.
> > }
> > }
> >

> Right you are, this came from commit 7485d0d3758e8e6491a5 (futexes:
> Remove rw parameter from get_futex_key()) in 2.6.33
>
> commit 7485d0d3758e8e6491a5c9468114e74dc050785d
> Author: KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@jp.fujitsu.com>
> Date: Tue Jan 5 16:32:43 2010 +0900
>
> futexes: Remove rw parameter from get_futex_key()
>
> Currently, futexes have two problem:
>
> A) The current futex code doesn't handle private file mappings properly.
>
> get_futex_key() uses PageAnon() to distinguish file and
> anon, which can cause the following bad scenario:
>
> 1) thread-A call futex(private-mapping, FUTEX_WAIT), it
> sleeps on file mapping object.
> 2) thread-B writes a variable and it makes it cow.
> 3) thread-B calls futex(private-mapping, FUTEX_WAKE), it
> wakes up blocked thread on the anonymous page. (but it's nothing)
>
> B) Current futex code doesn't handle zero page properly.
>
> Read mode get_user_pages() can return zero page, but current
> futex code doesn't handle it at all. Then, zero page makes
> infinite loop internally.
>
> The solution is to use write mode get_user_page() always for
> [...]

We use read-only mappings. In our case we have Process A writing to
a memory-mapped file, and Processes B, C, D, etc reading that memory
mapped file. Using a futex in the file header is a convenient way to
notify the readers of updates.

glibc is not the only user of futexes.

--
Shawn