    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/6] iommu: generic api migration and grouping
    Hi Arnd,

    On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
    > I think the future of iovmm is looking not so good. Marek Szyprowski
    > is working on a generic version of the dma-mapping API (dma_map_ops)
    > based on the iommu API.

    Nice! I missed Marek's work somehow.

    > As far as I can tell, once we have that in
    > place, we you can migrate omap3isp from iovmm to dma-mapping and
    > remove iovmm.

    Sounds like a plan.

    I'd still prefer us to take small steps here, and not gate the omap
    iommu cleanups with Marek's generic dma_map_ops work though. Let's go
    forward and migrate omap's iommu to the generic iommu API, so new code
    will be able to use it (e.g. the long coming virtio-based IPC/AMP
    framework).

    We'll migrate iovmm/omap3isp just enough so they don't break, but once
    the generic dma_map_ops work materializes, we'd be able to complete
    the migration, remove iovmm, and decouple omap3isp from omap-specific
    iommu APIs for good.

    >>   I've only moved the omap and msm implementations for now, to demonstrate
    >>   the idea (and support the ARM diet :), but if this is found desirable,
    >>   we can bring in intel-iommu.c and amd_iommu.c as well.
    >
    > Yes, very good idea.

    Great!
    (to move intel-iommu.c, we'll have to move the declaration of
    pci_find_upstream_pcie_bridge() from drivers/pci/pci.h to
    include/linux/pci.h, but that's probably not too bad).

    Thanks,
    Ohad.