SubjectRe: [BUG] kprobes crashing because of preempt count
(2011/07/01 10:33), Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 10:12 +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
>
>>> Do we really need to have preemption disabled throughout this? Is it
>>> because we don't want to migrate or call schedule? Not sure what the
>>> best way to fix this is. Perhaps we add a kprobe_preempt_disable() that
>>> is checked as well?
>>
>> I think the best way to do that is just removing preemption disabling
>> code, because
>> - breakpoint exception itself disables interrupt (at least on x86)
>> - While single stepping, interrupts also be disabled.
>
> I guess the above point is critical. If interrupts are disabled through
> out the entire walk through, then we are fine, as that just guarantees
> preemption is disabled anyway. But! if it does get enabled anywhere,
> then we will have issues as the two traps require using the same state
> data that is stored per cpu.

That should be a bug, or kprobe's assumption was so fragile (and must
be rewritten.)

Anyway, kprobe_handler() in arch/x86/kernel/kprobes.c expects that
it is executed in a critical section, and it ensures that if there
is no other kprobes running on that processor. (however, as you can
see in reenter_kprobe(), if the breakpoint hits under single stepping,
it calls BUG() because kprobes guess that someone put another kprobe
inside kprobe's critical section)

>> (BTW, theoretically, boosted and optimized kprobes shouldn't have
>> this problem, because those doesn't execute single-stepping)
>
> Does the optimized kprobes even disable preemption?

Yeah, just while calling its handler, since someone will
call may_sleep() in it... Anyway, nowadays it disables
interruption for emulating breakpoint behavior.

>> So, I think there is no reason of disabling preemption.
>
> That would be the best solution.

Thank you,

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
Software Platform Research Dept. Linux Technology Center

  Last update: 2011-07-01 04:25    [W:1.210 / U:0.008 seconds]