SubjectRe: SB16 build error.
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 01:28:03PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > I have no idea how big the soundblaster microcode being loaded actually is,
> > > that is if the reduced size of 0x1f00 will be sufficient.
> >
> > The files found in /lib/firmware/sb16 are all under 2kB, thus likely
> > sufficient.
>
> Too shortly answered. It turned out that some CSP codes (like Qsound)
> can be above that size, it's almost 12kB. So the size in the original
> code is really the necessary requirement, and the patch breaks for
> such a case.
>
> An ugly workaround would be to fake the ioctl size. But this is
> certainly to be avoided, since it has been broken on the specific
> platforms for ages, thus breaking for them would be mostly harmless,
> too.
>
> > > Aside of that I
> > > don't see a problem - I don't see how the old ioctl can possibly have been
> > > used before so there isn't a compatibility problem.
> > >
> > > Or you could entirely sidestep the problem and use request_firmware() but
> > > I guess that's more effort than you want to invest.
> >
> > Yeah, that's another option I thought of. But it's too intrusive for
> > 3.0-rc6, so I'd like waive it for 3.1.
>
> Actually the request_firmware() was implemented for some auto-loadable
> CSP codes. Others need the manual loading, so it is via ioctl. It
> can be converted, but I don't think it makes sense for such old
> stuff. After all, it still works with x86-ISA as is.

In userland an empty definition will be used for _IOC_TYPECHECK so there
won't be an error. So userland already is already using the existing
value for SNDRV_SB_CSP_IOCTL_LOAD_CODE ...

With a crude hack like

#define SNDRV_SB_CSP_IOCTL_LOAD_CODE \
_IOC(_IOC_WRITE,'H', 0x11, sizeof(struct snd_sb_csp_microcode))

error checking can be bypassed and all will be fine as long as the
resulting value doesn't result in in a a duplicate case value - which it
doesn't, at least not in my testing.

Should work but isn't nice.

Ralf

  Last update: 2011-06-30 14:35    [W:0.063 / U:0.372 seconds]