    SubjectRE: [RFC 5/8] remoteproc: add davinci implementation
    Hi Mark,

    On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 23:50:25, Grosen, Mark wrote:

    > > > I followed the existing pattern I saw in other drivers.
    > >
    > > Probably MUSB? We're trying to move away from passing the clock name to thge
    > > drivers, using match by device instead.
    > >
    > > > If there is a new, better way, please point me to an example.
    > >
    > > Look at the da850_clks[] in mach-davinci/da850.c: if the device name is
    > > specified as a first argument to CLK() macro (instead of clock name the second
    > > argument), the matching is done by device, so you don't need to specify the
    > > clock name to clk_get(), passing NULL instead.
    >
    > Thanks, I'll look at this and ask for Sekhar and Kevin's preferences.

    The second argument is not a (SoC specific)
    clock name, it is the "connection id" which
    is specific to the IP (not to the SoC).

    For example, the EMAC IP may want to deal
    with interface clock, functional clock and
    mii clock. So, it passes a connection identifier
    to tell the clock framework which particular
    clock it is interested in. The names of these
    connection identifiers will not change with SoC
    as they are IP property. So, it will not be
    right to get this through platform data.

    If there is no connection identifier in
    your case, you can just pass the second
    argument as NULL. The clock matching will
    happen using device name (which should
    remain same across SoCs too).

    Of course, this means that any incorrectly defined
    clock lookup structures for dsp clock in platform
    code needs to be corrected.

    Thanks,
    Sekhar

      Last update: 2011-06-28 11:41    [W:2.458 / U:0.416 seconds]