    SubjectRe: Linux 3.0-rc4
    On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
    > Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> writes:
    >
    >> and the
    >> conversion from spinlocks to mutexes for the anon_vma locking ended up
    >> causing a scalability issue that required fixing.
    >
    > FWIW it's still ~16% slower. Does that count as fixed?

    Well, so far I haven't really seen any suggestions on how to improve
    it much further.

    3.0 will still be noticeably faster than 2.6.39 due to the other
    changes made (ie the read-ahead), so yes, the regression itself is
    fixed.

    But performance on that particular benchmark with that particular
    machine is clearly not optimal, in that there are known setups that
    would be faster still.

    Of course, the reason for the mutex conversion was _other_ loads,
    where the spinlocks had bad behavior. So it's a balancing act. And I
    suspect we've reached a reasonable point in that balancing, yes.

    Linus

      Last update: 2011-06-23 06:31    [W:0.022 / U:121.868 seconds]