    SubjectRe: module: sysfs - add 'uevent' file to allow coldplug
    On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:00, Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 00:47:55 +0200, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> wrote:
    >> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 03:53, Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
    >> > Sorry, that's another vague answer :(
    >> >
    >> > udev already knows about module load
    >>
    >> Not for built-ins.
    >
    > OK, I re-read your commit message, and down the bottom it does say what
    > it *does*:
    >
    >>        This adds the currently missing /sys/module/<name>/uevent files
    >>        to all module entries.
    >
    > I apologize for skimming,

    Absolutely no problem. Asking such questions can not be wrong.

    > but this should be the *title* of the patch!

    Right, it's hard sometimes from 'inside' to make good titles that make
    titles that are properly understood 'outside'. If you have any better
    idea, please just change it.

    > Then I saw your patch hit params.c and thought you were adding a uevent
    > file to /sys/module/<name>/parameters/.  I was even more confused when
    > you replied:
    >
    >> Hook system management into module-load events, which might include
    >> changing module parameters in /sys/module/*/parameters/*...
    >
    > Because loading a module might *create* module parameters, but it won't
    > *change* them.  If we want to have events for change, we need much
    > more...
    >
    > Now we've got that sorted, is there a reason why you changed all the
    > signatures rather than just using mod->mkobj in store_uevent()?

    Because we should be able to use the same 'struct module_attribute'
    for built-in modules and for loaded modules at the same time. The
    current 'struct module_attribute' has 'struct module' references, but
    'struct module' will never exist for built-in modules.

    'Struct module_kobject' has nice back-pointer to 'struct module', so
    this was the simplest to do, and looks still fine, I thought.

    Kay