SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Re: REGRESSION: Performance regressions from switching anon_vma->lock to mutex
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:58:03AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Andi Kleen <> wrote:
> > > There's a crazy solution for that: the idle thread could process
> > > RCU callbacks carefully, as if it was running user-space code.
> >
> > In Ben's kernel NFS server case the system may not be idle.
> An always-100%-busy NFS server is very unlikely, but even in the
> hypothetical case a kernel NFS server is really performing system
> calls from a kernel thread in essence. If it doesn't do it explicitly
> then its main loop can easily include a "check RCU callbacks" call.

As long as they make sure to call it in a clean environment: no locks
held and so on. But I am a bit worried about the possibility of someone
forgetting to put one of these where it is needed -- it would work just
fine for most workloads, but could fail only for rare workloads.

That said, invoking RCU core/callback processing from the scheduler
context certainly sounds like an interesting way to speed up grace

Thanx, Paul

 \ /
  Last update: 2011-06-17 02:47    [W:0.137 / U:5.016 seconds]