    Subjectstop machine question
     Hi guys,

    I've been made some study in System Management Interrupts (SMI) using
    Linux. Looking into, I found a module called "Hardware Latency
    Detector (formerly SMI detector)" written by Jon Masters a few years
    ago, as Jon says (

    "This is a loadable module that grabs the CPU for
    configurable periods of time (all under stop_machine()) and samples the
    looking for discontinuity. If observed latencies exceed a threshold
    example caused by an System Management Interrupt or similar) then the
    event is recorded in a global ring_buffer, readable via debugfs."

    I modified the module to grab the TSC directly as you can see in the
    "get_sample" code below:

    static int get_sample(void *unused)

    do {
    t2 = ktime_get();

    total = ktime_to_us(ktime_sub(t2, start)); /* sample width */
    //diff = ktime_to_us(ktime_sub(t2, t1)); /* current diff */

    diff = (s64)(tsc[1] - tsc[0]); /* tsc diff*/

    /* This shouldn't happen */
    if (diff < 0) {
    printk(KERN_ERR BANNER "time running backwards\n");
    goto out;

    if (diff > data.threshold){
    sample = diff; /* only want highest value */
    s.timestamp = tsc[1];

    tsc[0] = tsc[1];

    } while (total <= data.sample_width);

    The function get_sample is invoked by a kernel thread coded below:

    static int kthread_fn(void *unused)

    while (!kthread_should_stop()) {

    err = stop_machine(get_sample, unused, &cpus);
    if (err) {
    /* Houston, we have a problem */
    goto err_out;

    interval = data.sample_window - data.sample_width;
    do_div(interval, USEC_PER_MSEC); /* modifies interval value */

    if (data.count > data.max_count){
    enabled = 0;
    data.count = 0;

    if (msleep_interruptible(interval))
    goto out;

    Running this code in kernel (Slackware 13.37) there is a huge
    discontinuity, (diff = (s64)(tsc[1] - tsc[0])), about 25000 cycles,
    just when I run this code with a msleep_interruptible() in the kernel
    thread. When I remove it, the problem disappears. Moreover, the
    discontinuity appears always in the same time in the get_sample's while
    and never in the first execution of the kthread_fn's while. The kernel
    trace doesn't shows get_sample to be interrupted.

    My question, is possible to some kernel code run inside stop_machine?
    In other words, why get_sample seems to be interrupted when I use a

    Any help will be apreeciated.

    Thanks a lot,

    Renan Augusto Starke

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 15
    model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 2133.336
    cache size : 2048 KB

    The system is a Dell Optiplex 745.

    Xtarke under Slackware 13.1
    Linux user ID #354257

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-06-14 23:19    [W:0.024 / U:3.728 seconds]