SubjectRe: [RFC] dmaengine: add new api for preparing simple slave transfer
On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 17:32 +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:31:56PM +0530, Raju, Sundaram wrote:
> > Here it is, with proper line wrapping;
>
> Thanks. This is much easier to reply to.
>
> > I believe that even though the dmaengine framework addresses and
> > supports most of the required use cases of a client driver to a DMA
> > controller, some extensions are required in it to make it still more
> > generic.
> >
> > Current framework contains two APIs to prepare for slave transfers:
> >
> > struct dma_async_tx_descriptor *(*device_prep_slave_sg)(
> > struct dma_chan *chan, struct scatterlist *sgl,
> > unsigned int sg_len, enum dma_data_direction direction,
> > unsigned long flags);
> >
> > struct dma_async_tx_descriptor *(*device_prep_dma_cyclic)(
> > struct dma_chan *chan, dma_addr_t buf_addr, size_t buf_len,
> > size_t period_len, enum dma_data_direction direction);
> >
> > and one control API.
> > int (*device_control)(struct dma_chan *chan, enum dma_ctrl_cmd cmd,
> > unsigned long arg);
> >
> > A simple single buffer transfer (i.e. non sg transfer) can be done only
> > as a trivial case of the device_prep_slave_sg API. The client driver is
> > expected to prepare a sg list and provide to the dmaengine API for that
> > single buffer also.
>
> We can avoid preparing a sg list in every driver which wants this by
> having dmaengine.h provide a helper for this case:
>
> static inline dma_async_tx_descriptor *dmaengine_prep_slave_single(
> struct dma_chan *chan, void *buf, size_t len,
> enum dma_data_direction dir, unsigned long flags)
> {
> struct scatterlist sg;
>
> sg_init_one(&sg, buf, len);
>
> return chan->device->device_prep_slave_sg(chan, &sg, 1, dir, flags);
> }
That sounds good...

> I think also providing dmaengine_prep_slave_sg() and
> dmaengine_prep_dma_cyclic() as wrappers to hide the chan->device->blah
> bit would also be beneficial (and helps keep that detail out of the
> users of DMA engine.)
>
> > In a slave transfer, the client has to define all the buffer related
> > attributes and the peripheral related attributes.
>
> I'd argue that it is incorrect to have drivers specify the buffer
> related attributes - that makes the API unnecessarily complicated
> to use, requiring two calls (one to configure the channel, and one
> to prepare the transfer) each time it needs to be used.
>
> Not only that but the memory side of the transfer should be no business
> of the driver - the driver itself should only specify the attributes
> for the device being driven. The attributes for the memory side of the
> transfer should be a property of the DMA engine itself.
>
> I would like to see in the long term the dma_slave_config structure
> lose its 'direction' argument, and the rest of the parameters used to
> define the device side parameters only.
I am not sure why direction flag is required and can be done away with.
Both sg and cyclic API have a direction parameter and that should be
used. A channel can be used in any direction client wishes to.

--
~Vinod

  Last update: 2011-06-10 08:51    [W:0.069 / U:0.328 seconds]