SubjectRe: [git pull] m68k SLUB fix for 2.6.39
On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 12:07 -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2011, James Bottomley wrote:
>
> > Yes, but I also encountered it after I applied you patch, which is why I
> > still pushed the Kconfig patch. It's possible, since there were a huge
> > number of patches flying around that the kernel base was contaminated,
> > so I'll strip down to just linus HEAD + parisc coherence patches,
> > reverting the Kconfig one and try again.
> >

> Great, and if that works out successfully this time around I think we'll
> either need to fix each individual arch Kconfig that we know doesn't work
> well (at least parisc because of the scheduling issue) so that it at least
> enables CONFIG_NUMA implicitly for discontigmem unless CONFIG_BROKEN is
> set.

OK, I confirm that the N_NORMAL_MEMORY patch on its own fixes slub for
us. We can revert the mark slub BROKEN in DISCONTIGMEM && !NUMA patch.

> The ideal solution is probably to rely on CONFIG_NEED_MULTIPLE_NODES
> rather than CONFIG_NUMA, which is why it was introduced in the first place
> since it was duplicating data structures for both NUMA and discontigmem.
> That's apparently broken somewhere in the kernel that turned your SMP box
> into an UP.

Sure ... either that or accelerate a conversion to something like
SPARSEMEM.

James

  Last update: 2011-05-10 00:27    [W:1.888 / U:0.024 seconds]