    SubjectRe: i915/kms/backlight-combo mode problem
    Date
    * Joey Lee -- Sunday 08 May 2011:
    > 於 六,2011-05-07 於 22:22 +0200,Melchior FRANZ 提到:
    > > It has turned out that acpi key events seem to be handled correctly
    > > and even the state of /sys/class/backlight/acer-wmi/brightness is
    >
    > That's interesting for acer-wmi generated brightness interface when this
    > machine declare acpi brightness interface in DSDT.

    I'm sorry to give contradicting info. Yesterday I saw a subdir acer-wmi
    (or acer_wmi) in /sys/class/backlight/ during one of my tests (with/without
    acer_wmi, with/without acpi_osi=Linux). Now I left acpi_osi=Linux
    away and allow acer_wmi, and it's subdir acpi_video0. Next time I'll
    make notes.

    > Does it work to you direct control brightness by access
    > by /sys/class/backlight/acer-wmi/brightness ?

    No. A number written to this virtual file is accepted and remembered,
    but it doesn't actually change the brightness. It takes setpci to do
    that.

    > As I remember, use setpci to control brightness is not recommended
    > because BIOS or ACPI will also touch brightness level. That will be
    > better control brightness by the function that was provided by BIOS.
    > e.g. ACPI or WMI interface, or direct control by EC.

    Well, sounds plausible. And I wouldn't do it if it weren't the only
    way at the moment. :-)

    > That means that will be better fix your Fn key control brightness like
    > before, you just need press Fn key to change brightness and don't need
    > have any workaround.

    OK. I have added a lot of debug messages to intel_panel.c yesterday.
    All it told me was that it seems to work correctly wiht acpi_osi=Linux.
    Except that it doesn't actually change the brightness. Without acpi_osi
    the functions aren't called at all and none of my messages showed up.

    > Looks like current status is we try to fix bko#31522 but the patch
    > causes your brightness no work by press Fn key even with acpi_osi=Linux.
    > Does it right?

    The history is: with acpi_osi=Linux everything worked with 2.6.38-rc8.
    With 2.6.38 the screen stayed black. The patch that only ignored lbpc=0
    worked (IIRC) including key adjustment. Later patches broke keys.

    > replace acpi_osi=Linux by acpi_osi="!Windows 2006"
    >
    > Does it also works to you for backlight control?

    No, doesn't work.

    m.