    SubjectRe: various vmbus review comments
    On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 01:46:56AM +0000, KY Srinivasan wrote:
    > > - the instances of hv_driver structures need to be static and
    > > not programatically defined, like all other USB and PCI
    > > drivers are handled.
    >
    > Done. You had expressed some concern that this would expose some issue
    > with the core vmbus driver (which is what I want to concentrate on this
    > go around). I have done this for both the block driver and the mouse driver
    > and I am pretty sure I can do the same with the network driver. I have not
    > currently done this for the network driver, since the number of patches I have
    > to submit is already very large.

    Ok, but it shouldn't be a major change to the code, right?

    > > - module reference counting. Are you sure you got it all right
    > > for the individual modules that attach to the bus? I don't
    > > see any reference counting happening, is that correct?
    >
    > I have already exchanged an email with you on this. To summarize, it
    > does not look like there is a problem
    >
    > > - fix the sparse warnings.
    > Mostly done; most of the errors are in the base kernel coming out of
    > the macro page_to_pfn()
    >
    > > - fix the use of volatile in the ring buffer code. It should
    > > not be needed and if you are relying on it, then the code is
    > > wrong.
    >
    > You are right; all accesses were already serialized with a spin lock and the
    > Volatile attribute was unnecessary.
    >
    > > - fix the namespace on the ringbuffer code to show that it
    > > really is only for the hyperv bus code internally.
    >
    > Done.
    >

    > > That should be enough for at least one more set of patches for you all
    > > to work on :)
    >
    > Greg,
    >
    > I have had so much fun cleaning up these drivers that I lost track of the patch count.
    > I have addressed all the issues you have raised in addition to some other cleanup
    > that I was doing since about a week. As I look at the patch-set, I have little over
    > 200 patches. If it is ok with you, I would like to send them as a single set. Let me know
    > what you prefer. I need to circulate these patches internally before I can send them out.
    > I should be able to send these out early next week.

    A single set is fine, if that's what you want to do, I can handle that
    amount as long as they all build all along the way and don't break
    anything.

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2011-05-09 05:07    [W:0.022 / U:0.316 seconds]