    SubjectRe: Fix powerTOP regression with 2.6.39-rc5
    On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:

    > I strongly NACK this!

    Doesn't matter.

    Binary compatibility is more important.

    And if binaries don't use the interface to parse the format (or just
    parse it wrongly - see the fairly recent example of adding uuid's to
    /proc/self/mountinfo), then it's a regression.

    And regressions get reverted, unless there are security issues or
    similar that makes us go "Oh Gods, we really have to break things".

    I don't understand why this simple logic is so hard for some kernel
    developers to understand. Reality matters. Your personal wishes matter
    NOT AT ALL.

    If you made an interface that can be used without parsing the
    interface description, then we're stuck with the interface. Theory
    simply doesn't matter.

    You could help fix the tools, and try to avoid the compatibility
    issues that way. There aren't that many of them.

    Linus