    SubjectRe: [RFC] time: xtime_lock is held too long
    > Then precise measurements have to be done on the source of cache misses, the
    > total cost of the timer interrupt, etc.

    What we did was profiling the remote node cache misses
    using raw offcore events, and the xtime code was high up.
    I cannot share exact numbers for various reasons, but it was
    an improvement on a hard to improve workload.

    > I.e. this should be analyzed and improved properly, not just sloppily slapping
    > a few prefetches here and there, which wont really *solve* anything ...

    Well it made things faster. That's definitely something.

    I agree the cache lines need to be consolidated in a proper way.

    But well placed prefetches by themselves can be a useful tool,
    and placing them based on stable profile results is not "sloppy".

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-05-06 18:57    [W:0.020 / U:14.772 seconds]