SubjectRe: Cleancache and shared filesystems
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 07:51:36AM -0700, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> > Hey Dan,
> > Steven makes a good point here. ocfs2 could also take advantage
> > of local filesystem behavior when running in local mode.
>
> I guess the semantics need to be more clearly defined
> (or perhaps changed if the shared-fs community wants),
> but if cleancache_init_shared_fs is called only by
> a single node, cleancache still enables all the same
> functionality** as cleancache_init_fs.

I don't see the ** reference in the footnotes ;-) You're saying
that, for a single caller, you will properly keep the pagecache bits
around in cleancache as you shrink the balloon and give them back when
requested? So an ocfs2 calling cleancache_init_share_fs() in only one
VM will have the same page lifetimes (including life inside cleancache
but not in guest pagecache) as a similar ext3? If so, there are no
changes needed at all.

> I'm not sure I fully understand the semantics of
> local mode though, so please clarify if you think
> I am wrong or misunderstanding your point.

ocfs2 local mode means that it is not a cluster filesystem. The
cluster services are not enabled, and ocfs2 behaves like xfs/extN/btrfs.

Joel

--

"Lately I've been talking in my sleep.
Can't imagine what I'd have to say.

http://www.jlbec.org/
jlbec@evilplan.org

  Last update: 2011-05-31 23:57    [W:0.064 / U:0.804 seconds]