    SubjectRe: [rfc] Ignore Fsync Calls in Laptop_Mode
    Am Montag, 30. Mai 2011, 20:45:42 schrieb
    > > The big problem is that so far only fsync existed and lots of software
    > > seemingly abuses it as an expensive write barrier. And it would really
    > > be lovely to have the choice to stop that on an opt-in basis in laptop
    > > mode.
    > is the benifit of not spinning up the disk really worth the risk of
    > loosing data?

    That is a policy question.

    > and should this really be a global across-the-board option?

    Possibly not. However this is a secondary question.

    > the problem is that most users don't know what their system is running, or
    > what effect disaling fsync would have. those that do can probably use
    > LD_PRELOAD to override fsync calls.

    Not without a loss of ordering, as we have discussed.

    - - -
    Maxfeldstraße 5
    90409 Nürnberg
    - - -

      Last update: 2011-05-31 08:49    [W:0.020 / U:26.352 seconds]