    SubjectRe: IrDA driver fails on PXA255
    On Sun, 29 May 2011, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

    > > That would return memory that is not guaranteed to be within the first
    > > 16MB of address space, so a GFP_DMA allocation would succeed with memory
    > > not from ZONE_DMA.
    > Err, no. GFP_DMA returns memory in a zone which the platform has setup.
    > There's nothing specific about it being "16MB" or any other size; the
    > arch can chose what size that is.

    Sorry, was talking from the x86 perspective, which probably doesn't make
    much sense since we're talking about an arm driver :)

    > > That's an invalid configuration, so users, including
    > > you, should at least edit their .config by hand to enable CONFIG_ZONE_DMA
    > > as a workaround.
    > Again, no. This change has caused a load of previously working drivers
    > to suddenly start failing without _any_ explanation why or even warning
    > about the change. It needs to start off as a WARN_ON() so that stuff
    > can be fixed, and then changed to a hard error.

    I haven't seen a "load" of error reports where this is causing an issue,
    maybe it is much more popular on arm?

    This also isn't a hard error, admins should be able to enable
    CONFIG_ZONE_DMA and rebuild so that the driver being loaded can get the
    type of memory it is requesting. Just putting a WARN_ON() doesn't provide
    any incentive to ever get this stuff fixed.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-05-31 07:07    [W:0.526 / U:0.216 seconds]