SubjectRe: Linux 3.0-rc1
On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 06:30:32PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Yay! Let the bikeshed painting discussions about version numbering
> begin (or at least re-start).
>
> I decided to just bite the bullet, and call the next version 3.0. It
> will get released close enough to the 20-year mark, which is excuse
> enough for me, although honestly, the real reason is just that I can
> no longe rcomfortably count as high as 40.
>
> The whole renumbering was discussed at last years Kernel Summit, and
> there was a plan to take it up this year too. But let's face it -
> what's the point of being in charge if you can't pick the bike shed
> color without holding a referendum on it? So I'm just going all
> alpha-male, and just renumbering it. You'll like it.
>
> Now, my alpha-maleness sadly does not actually extend to all the
> scripts and Makefile rules, so the kernel is fighting back, and is
> calling itself 3.0.0-rc1. We'll have the usual 6-7 weeks to wrestle it
> into submission, and get scripts etc cleaned up, and the final release
> should be just "3.0". The -stable team can use the third number for
> their versioning.

Linus, two words : THANK YOU !

The 4-integer numbering was a real nightmare with kernel versions looking
like IP addresses. Now it will get back to something more common and much
more maintainable.

Thanks again for this huge step forwards !

Willy

  Last update: 2011-05-31 11:25    [W:0.142 / U:2.496 seconds]