    SubjectRe: [Patch] kexec: remove KMSG_DUMP_KEXEC (was Re: Query about kdump_msg hook into crash_kexec())
    From
    On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Eric W. Biederman
    <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
    > Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> writes:

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I send it you now :)
    >>>

    >> What happened with this?  kexec-remove-kmsg_dump_kexec.patch has two acks
    >> and one unexplained nack :(
    >
    > As I recall the nack was based on a theoretical use case, and a cleanup
    > of kmsg_dump to make it more robust which I don't believe has happened,
    > instead of something real.
    >
    > My feel is that we should remove kmsg_dump and if a real use case comes
    > up reconsider it at that time.
    >
    > I don't think anyone cares too strongly at the moment because the
    > features are not expected to be used in conjunction with each other, nor
    > even expected to be compiled into the same kernel.  However given that
    > they are not used to be used in conjunction with each other a call into
    > kmsg_dump from crash_kexec is really just cluttering the code for no
    > benefit to anyone.

    Seiji once proposed NVRAM which uses kmsg_dump, he wants
    to have another way to store panic information when kdump doesn't
    work which is _not_ rare in the real world.