    SubjectRe: Linux 3.0 change listings - Wonderful World of Linux 3.0
    On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 15:59, Joe Pranevich wrote:
    > organizations use virtualization to keep down hardware costs and
    > reduce downtime do to system failures. Linux 3.0 significantly

    "do to" -> "due to"

    > monitoring chipsets for fault recognition, temperature management, and
    > similar. This grants server administrators more visibility into their
    > gear and can help prevent crashes.

    not sure this helps prevent crashes. perhaps "helps mitigate downtime" ?

    > encryption keys that are required for this and other encryption
    > subssytems.

    > On the network side, Linux now supports a new caching add-on for
    > network filesystems. This allows the OS to create and manage a local
    > on-disk cache of a remote NFS or CIFS filesystem, decreasing latency
    > while being fully transparent to the end-user.

    i dont think it is limited to remote filesystems

    > Linux also now supports
    > NFSv4, the fourth version of the venerable Network Filesystem as a
    > client. However, Linux only supports running NFSv3 as a server.

    what about CONFIG_NFSD_V4 ? that looks like NFSv4 as a server to me ...

    > While Linux 3.0 still has difficulty accessing NTFS volumes (the
    > default on modern versions of Windows), support for mounting Windows
    > network shares has been significantly improved.

    with ntfs3g (built on FUSE), i dont think this is an accurate
    statement. even if your focus is purely on in-kernel fs's, this is at
    least a bit misleading.

    > In conjunction with an internal sensor, this
    > feature can mean the difference between a nasty look at a pet or loved
    > one or a nasty look at a pet or loved one followed by a trip to the

    i think the first "or" on this last line should be an "and"

    > devices. Linux also supports (or will support, when the hardware is
    > generally available) the Tile processors designed by Tilera in Silicon
    > Valley. They massively multi-core processors have a unique split
    > between functionality of general-purpose processors and more specific

    "They massively" -> "The massively"

    > processing such as would be done on a GPU. Other new supported
    > processors include the Microblaze, S+core, Blackfin, Atmel, and the
    > 64-bit version of the Super-H.

    i dont think "Atmel" is an architecture. i think you meant "AVR32".

    > Perhaps the most noteworthy feature addition in Linux 3.0 is the
    > inclusion of IPv6.

    i'm pretty sure at least Linux 2.4 had support for IPv6.

    > Two other core network features are worthy of note. First, the Linux
    > network subsystem has been made considerably faster on multi-processor
    > systems. Unlike under Linux 2.6, incoming network traffic on different
    > interfaces can now be handled on multiple CPUs. This will ensure that
    > Linux can deal with multiple high-throughput network devices with less
    > latency.

    i think there's also support for multi transmit ? or has that not
    been merged yet ?

    > And second, the Linux wireless driver system has been
    > completely rewritten. In addition to just supporting many new devices,
    > these devices are now supported in a more uniform way and with more
    > features available on more of the cards. Key here are improvements to
    > the low-level Ethernet implementation (including a complete software
    > stack where necessary), QoS support, and others.

    the inclusion of the soft mac80211 stuff is pretty note worthy

    > or monitored. WiMax is also new in Linux 3.0. This technology, with
    > the correct hardware, allows for joining wide area wireless networks

    "correct" is a bit awkward. how about "right" ?

    > Device Busses

    > An unsung hero, device busses are the way that peripherals (both

    > One major advancement since the launch of Linux 2.6 has been the
    > emergence of the PCI Express Bus. PCI Express, sometimes called PCI-E,

    "called" -> "referred to as"

    > such as hot-plugging. Support for external busses has also

    > that comply with the USB3 specification) as well as many other drivers

    USB 3.0

    > Firewire, another type of serial bus common in video processing and
    > other environments, has also be improved in Linux 3.0 with the

    "be" -> "been"

    > hardware. Now stable in Linux 3.0 is “USB On-The-Go”, the device side

    might be useful to include "OTG" in here

    > communicate with a host which speaks the USB protocol. A similar
    > system, though not used in home computing, is the “Controller Area
    > Network”.

    definitely would be useful to have "CAN" in here

    >This system is primarily used in automotive and military
    > computing when multiple devices want to communicate with each other
    > without the presence of a “host” computer to orchestrate.

    one of the other major reasons for CAN is robustness is the high noise
    automative/military world

      Last update: 2011-05-31 05:19    [W:0.037 / U:82.332 seconds]