    SubjectRe: Linux 3.0-rc1
    Date
    On Monday, May 30, 2011, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Yay! Let the bikeshed painting discussions about version numbering
    > begin (or at least re-start).
    >
    > I decided to just bite the bullet, and call the next version 3.0. It
    > will get released close enough to the 20-year mark, which is excuse
    > enough for me, although honestly, the real reason is just that I can
    > no longe rcomfortably count as high as 40.
    >
    > The whole renumbering was discussed at last years Kernel Summit, and
    > there was a plan to take it up this year too. But let's face it -
    > what's the point of being in charge if you can't pick the bike shed
    > color without holding a referendum on it? So I'm just going all
    > alpha-male, and just renumbering it. You'll like it.
    >
    > Now, my alpha-maleness sadly does not actually extend to all the
    > scripts and Makefile rules, so the kernel is fighting back, and is
    > calling itself 3.0.0-rc1. We'll have the usual 6-7 weeks to wrestle it
    > into submission, and get scripts etc cleaned up, and the final release
    > should be just "3.0". The -stable team can use the third number for
    > their versioning.
    >
    > So what are the big changes?
    >
    > NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Sure, we have the usual two thirds driver
    > changes, and a lot of random fixes, but the point is that 3.0 is
    > *just* about renumbering, we are very much *not* doing a KDE-4 or a
    > Gnome-3 here. No breakage, no special scary new features, nothing at
    > all like that. We've been doing time-based releases for many years
    > now, this is in no way about features. If you want an excuse for the
    > renumbering, you really should look at the time-based one ("20 years")
    > instead.
    >
    > So no ABI changes, no API changes,

    Well, actually there is one. ;-) The shutdown/suspend/resume callbacks have
    been removed from struct sysdev_class and struct sysdev_driver.

    Not that this is important to anyone except for the 10 people or so who care,
    but still. :-)

    Thanks for the numbering change,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2011-05-30 04:01    [W:0.023 / U:88.332 seconds]