SubjectRe: [RFC Patch 6/6] Crash: Recognise slim coredumps and process new elf-note sections
Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:16:34AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> "K.Prasad" <prasad@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>>
>> > Crash: Recognise slim coredumps and process new elf-note sections
>> >
>> > The Linux kernel will begin to support SlimDump for certain types of crashes
>> > and the 'crash' tool needs to recognise them. For these types of coredumps, it
>> > need not lookout for usual elf-structures and start gdb. Also process new
>> > elf-note sections that contain additional information about the crash.
>>
>> I suppose patching crash make sense.
>>
>> Unfortunately crash doesn't work on 99% of the kernels I run so, so I
>> stopped caring a while ago.
>
> Are these patched kernels? Otherwise Dave Anderson is pretty good about
> keeping crash running across multiple kernels.

Only slightly patched. But they are definitely kernels I have built
myself. It might just be a logistics problem where if I want to use
crash I need to upgrade it when I upgrade my kernels.

I got frustrated a while ago trying to get something out of crash
(and I'm afraid it shows), and I have just gone to extracting the
dmesg. Which gives me all of the information I generally have time
to process.

Eric

  Last update: 2011-05-27 20:39    [W:0.071 / U:0.368 seconds]