    SubjectRe: [tip:perf/urgent] perf symbols: Handle /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
    Em Thu, May 26, 2011 at 09:39:46PM +0200, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
    > Secondly, even though i have the proper 'vmlinux' in cwd, i get half
    > a page long warnings on perf record warning me about the vmlinux:
    > WARNING: Kernel address maps (/proc/{kallsyms,modules}) are restricted, check /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict.
    > Samples in kernel functions may not be resolved if a suitable
    > vmlinux file is not found in the buildid cache or in the vmlinux
    > path.
    > But a vmlinux file *is* in the cwd.

    Well, there was no assumption that 'perf report' would run on the same
    directory as 'perf record', the user may have moved to a different
    directory or transferred the file to a different machine.

    Also it would have to check that the vmlinux on the path is suitable
    (that build-id matches), currently it does that just at 'perf report'
    time, that is when it will need to use it. At record time we just
    collect the build-ids.

    With that in mind, how do you think it should be phrased?

    - Arnaldo

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-05-26 23:31    [W:0.027 / U:3.272 seconds]