    Subject[PERF RESULTS] virtio and vhost-net performance enhancements
    "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com> wrote on 05/20/2011 04:40:07 AM:

    > OK, here is the large patchset that implements the virtio spec update
    > that I sent earlier (the spec itself needs a minor update, will send
    > that out too next week, but I think we are on the same page here
    > already). It supercedes the PUBLISH_USED_IDX patches I sent
    > out earlier.

    I was able to get this tested by applying the v2 patches
    to git-next tree (somehow MST's git tree hung on my guest
    which never got resolved). Testing was from Guest -> Remote
    node, using an ixgbe 10g card. The test results are
    *excellent* (table: #netperf sesssions, BW% improvement,
    SD% improvement, CPU% improvement):

    ___________________________________
    512 byte I/O
    # BW% SD% CPU%
    ____________________________________
    1 151.6 -65.1 -10.7
    2 180.6 -66.6 -6.4
    4 15.5 -35.8 -26.1
    8 1.8 -28.4 -26.7
    16 3.1 -29.0 -26.5
    32 1.1 -27.4 -27.5
    64 3.8 -30.9 -26.7
    96 5.4 -21.7 -24.2
    128 5.7 -24.4 -25.5
    ____________________________________
    BW: 16.6% SD: -24.6% CPU: -25.5%

    ____________________________________
    1K I/O
    # BW% SD% CPU%
    ____________________________________
    1 233.9 -76.5 -18.0
    2 112.2 -64.0 -23.2
    4 9.2 -31.6 -26.1
    8 -1.7 -26.8 -30.3
    16 3.5 -31.5 -30.6
    32 4.8 -25.2 -30.5
    64 5.7 -31.0 -28.9
    96 5.3 -32.2 -31.7
    128 4.6 -38.2 -33.6
    ____________________________________
    BW: 16.4% SD: -35.% CPU: -31.5%

    ____________________________________
    16K I/O
    # BW% SD% CPU%
    ____________________________________
    1 18.8 -27.2 -18.3
    2 14.8 -36.7 -27.7
    4 12.7 -45.2 -38.1
    8 4.4 -56.4 -54.4
    16 4.8 -38.3 -36.1
    32 0 78.0 79.2
    64 3.8 -38.1 -37.5
    96 7.3 -35.2 -31.1
    128 3.4 -31.1 -32.1
    BW: 7.6% SD: -30.1% CPU: -23.7%

    I plan to run some more tests tomorrow. Please let
    me know if any other scenario will help.

    Thanks,

    - KK

      Last update: 2011-05-26 17:31    [W:0.030 / U:58.964 seconds]