SubjectRe: BUG: Failure to send REQ_FLUSH on unmount on ext3, ext4, and FS in general

--On 23 May 2011 13:33:50 -0400 Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

> It really should be changed. The previous (bad) excuse was that the
> ordering barrier code was too much overhead. Making a filesystem
> non-safe by default is already a bad sin, but having the code to make
> it safe around and not enabling it is plain criminal.

At risk of wandering into ext3 default flamewar, I suppose people foolishly
or not might want to live dangerously. If I'm creating an image on a
loopback mount, or copying stuff to a removable harddrive, perhaps I don't
really care if data gets corrupted if the power drops while I am writing,
as I can recreate the data. I'm always going to have that issue even with
FAT32 and other dinosaurs (ext2). I *do*, however, care if unmount()
doesn't write all the data, especially as "sync; sync; sync" doesn't
appear to write the data either.

--
Alex Bligh

  Last update: 2011-05-23 20:59    [W:0.044 / U:7.428 seconds]