SubjectRe: [bloat] Measuring header file bloat effects on kernel build performance: a more than 2x slowdown ...

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
> >
> > I've attached a totally hacky patch that removes all the big #include's from
> > kernel/pid.c and includes all structure and API definitions explicitly.
>
> Hmm.
>
> A less hacky patch might be to split up "sched.h" into multiple
> smaller things and at least get *part* of the way.

Yeah, absolutely - Peter already raised that a couple of days ago in a sched.h
discussion so it's on the radar.

The hacky patch was really just a throw-away attempt to see where we stand - we
only had vague impressions about the level of problems we have, now we know
some numbers.

> A lot of things want "struct task_struct" (and in some cases thread_info, but
> that's already split).
>
> Much fewer care about the signal stuff.
>
> And many things probably don't even need the task_struct definition, and
> might be perfectly happy with just function calls rather than having intimate
> knowledge of the structure layout and an inline function.

Yeah.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2011-05-23 19:03    [W:0.096 / U:66.408 seconds]