SubjectRe: [bloat] Measuring header file bloat effects on kernel build performance: a more than 2x slowdown ...
From
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

>> > Anway, what i tried to demonstrate with this mail how much *real* slowdown
>> > in the kernel build our current header file bloat is causing. We could
>> > literally halve our kernel build times if we fixed this!
>>
>> News at 11!
>
> I have not seen *actual hard numbers* measured before, so how exactly is this
> news at 11? So i think your condescending reply is neither fair nor justified.

That's because the final number itself neither important nor interesting.
It's enough to know it's big enough.

Even removing "extern" from prototypes has small but noticeable effect,
you're talking about real headers.

Linus dropped few header cleanups of mine, I don't even know when is
the right time
to send them now.

  Last update: 2011-05-23 13:15    [W:0.072 / U:0.488 seconds]