SubjectRe: [GIT PULL rcu/next] fixes and breakup of memory-barrier-decrease patch
On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 04:28:44PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Ingo,
> >
> > This pull requests covers some RCU bug fixes and one patch rework.
> >
> > The first group breaks up the infamous now-reverted (but ultimately
> > vindicated) "Decrease memory-barrier usage based on semi-formal proof"
> > commit into five commits. These five commits immediately follow the
> > revert, and the diff across all six of these commits is empty, so that
> > the effect of the five commits is to revert the revert.
>
> But ... the regression that was observed with that commit needs to be fixed
> first, or not? In what way was the barrier commit vindicated?

From what I can see, the hang was fixed by Frederic's patch at
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/19/753. I was interpreting that as
vindication, perhaps ill-advisedly.

Yinghai said that he was still seeing a delay, adn that he was seeing
it even with the "Decrease memory-barrier usage based on semi-formal
proof" reverted: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/5/20/427. This hang seems
to happen when he uses gcc 4.5.0, but not when using gcc 4.5.1, assuming
I understood his sequence of emails. So I was interpreting that as
meaning that the delay was unlikely to be caused by that commit, probably
by one of the later commits.

I clearly need to figure out what is causing this delay. I asked Yinghai
to apply c7a378603 (Remove waitqueue usage for cpu, node, and boost kthreads)
from Peter Zijlstra because the long delays that Yinghai is seeing
(93 seconds for memory_dev_init() rather than 3 or 4 seconds) might be
due to my less-efficient method of awakening the RCU kthreads, so that
Peter's approache might help.

If that doesn't speed things up for Yinghai, then I will work out some
tracing to help localize the slowdown that he is seeing.

Of course, if you would rather that I get to the bottom of this before
pulling, fair enough!

Thanx, Paul

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans