    SubjectRe: memcg: fix fatal livelock in kswapd
    On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 16:14 -0700, Ying Han wrote:
    > On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Johannes Weiner <> wrote:
    > > I am very much for removing this hack. There is still more scan
    > > pressure applied to memcgs in excess of their soft limit even if the
    > > extra scan is happening at a sane priority level. And the fact that
    > > global reclaim operates completely unaware of memcgs is a different
    > > story.
    > >
    > > However, this code came into place with v2.6.31-8387-g4e41695. Why is
    > > it only now showing up?
    > >
    > > You also wrote in that thread that this happens on a standard F15
    > > installation. On the F15 I am running here, systemd does not
    > > configure memcgs, however. Did you manually configure memcgs and set
    > > soft limits? Because I wonder how it ended up in soft limit reclaim
    > > in the first place.

    It doesn't ... it's standard FC15 ... the mere fact of having memcg
    compiled into the kernel is enough to do it (conversely disabling it at
    compile time fixes the problem).

    > curious as well. if we have workload to reproduce it, i would like to try

    Well, the only one I can suggest is the one that produces it (large
    untar). There seems to be something magical about the memory size (mine
    is 2G) because adding more also seems to make the problem go away.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-05-03 02:01    [W:0.021 / U:10.356 seconds]