SubjectRe: USB keyboard recognized as HID keyboard but doesn't work
On Sun, 1 May 2011, Adi J. Sieker wrote:

> On 01/05/11 09:53, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 30. April 2011, 22:23:05 schrieb Adi J. Sieker:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> the lovely folks from #kernelnewbies suggested I write this mail since
> >> they are at a loss.
> >> I recently got a new USB keyboard which works fine in the BIOS and also
> >> in VBox Windows guests, but not on the host.
> >>
> >> The keyboard is a Keysonic KSK-8003 UX product details here:
> >> http://maxpoint.de/de/products/keyboards.php?pid=1_3_7&we_objectID=1220
> >>
> >> The menu key and the backspace keys do work. The num lock led is on,
> >> though I can't switch num lock off.
> >> If I attch the keyboard to a VirtualBox VM running WindowsXP as a guest,
> >> it works as expected in the VM.
> > This indicates that it is working on the USB level.
> >
> >> I'm running 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu. I tried the Ubuntu 10.10
> >> LiveCD and that also didn't work. I haven't tried 11.04 yet though.
> > Do you get anything on the event device? What does udev say when you
> > plug in the device?

> one thing I found out is that this keyboard has some special anti
> ghosting function for some keys. Where you can press multiple keys
> simultaneously
> and they are all recognized. This is apparently great for gaming. Which
> I'm not interested in...

Something else that might help is a usbmon trace showing what happens
when you plug in the keyboard. Instructions are in the kernel source
file Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt. In particular, while running the
test try pressing some of the normal keys that don't work.

Also, it would help to see the output from "lsusb -v" for this device
-- but you'll have to unbind it from the usbhid driver first.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2011-05-02 16:07    [W:0.044 / U:0.048 seconds]