    SubjectRe: [rfc] Ignore Fsync Calls in Laptop_Mode
    On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 03:34:46PM +0200, Dennis Jansen wrote:
    > This is my first proper kernel code proposal so please bear with me!
    > =Summary for busy kernel hackers=
    > Problem: laptop_mode wants to keep applications from waking the hard
    > disks but fsync calls can "sneak through". (IMHO this is a bug.)
    > Proposed solution: Pretend the fsync was executed and successful.
    > Insert two lines into the fsync and fdatasync calls in fs/sync.c:
    > if (unlikely(laptop_mode))
    > return 0;

    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

    There is _absolutely no justification_ for putting people's data at
    risk like this. If you want to do make fsync/fdatasync calls
    no-ops, then go install libeatmydata on your systems. It's your
    data, and you make the decision to risk it, not us.

    And BTW, I just added your name to my "ignore fileystem/data
    corruption bug reports from these people" list, because that's
    exactly where you'll end up with if you follow this path.

    Dave Chinner

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-05-20 05:43    [W:0.019 / U:40.000 seconds]