    SubjectRe: [RFC] x86, NMI, Treat unknown NMI as hardware error
    On 05/17/2011 04:53 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > * Huang Ying <ying.huang@intel.com> wrote:

    >>> The idea is that "event filters", which are an existing upstream feature and
    >>> which can be used in rather flexible ways:
    >>>
    >>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/27/660
    >>>
    >>> Could be used to trigger non-standard policy action as well - such as to panic
    >>> the box.
    >>>
    >>> This would replace various very limited /debugfs and /sys event filtering hacks
    >>> (and hardcoded policies) such as arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce-severity.c, and
    >>> it would allow nonstandard behavior like 'panic the box on unknown NMIs' as
    >>> well.
    >>>
    >>> This could be set by the RAS daemon, and it could be propagated to the kernel
    >>> boot line as well, where event filter syntax would look like this:
    >>>
    >>> events=nmi::unknown"if (reason == 0) panic();"
    >>>
    >>> (Where the 'reason' field of the NMI event is the current legacy 'reason' value
    >>> there.)
    >>>
    >>> The filter code would have to be modified to be able to recognize the panic()
    >>> bit, but that's desirable anyway and it is a one-time effort.
    >>>
    >>> This:
    >>>
    >>> events=nmi::unknown:"if (reason == 0) ignore();"
    >>>
    >>> would be a possible outcome as well, on certain boxes - to skip certain events.
    >>
    >> We can determine whether NMI is unknown in kernel now. If you want to push
    >> all unknown NMI logic into user space (although I don't think that is the
    >> best solution), is it not sufficient that just check system in user space
    >> (via PCI ID or DMI ID, etc) and set existing "unknown_nmi_panic" accordingly?
    >
    > yeah - no need to push the 'reason' if it's not needed.
    >
    > We want the kernel defaults to be sane - i.e. this is not to 'push' anything to
    > user-space in a forced way, this is to make *optional*, different policy action
    > possible to configure.

    OK. Then, what is the proper default behavior? We think Linux kernel
    should treat unknown NMI as hardware error reporting, at least on some
    modern machines (via a white list). Do you agree?

    Best Regards,
    Huang Ying

      Last update: 2011-05-19 08:47    [W:0.029 / U:0.112 seconds]