SubjectRe: i80 (Intel 8080-like) command interface to LCDs - how to implement
Date
Am Dienstag 17 Mai 2011, 13:59:40 schrieb Heiko Stübner:
> I'm trying to find the best way on implementing an i80 interface
> (especially the command mode) between a s3c2416 and an AUO-K1900 (epaper
> controller).
>
> On the host side it is usable at least in all Samsung SoCs following the
> S3C2443 and on the device side I've found, apart from the K1900, for
> example the ili9320 and STM32F10xxx displays controllers using this
> interface.
>
> It looks a bit like a cross between SPI and I2C but fits neither category -
> at least for my understanding.
after some more thoughts while cycling home, would it be sane to implement it
as spi devices like:

lcd-ctrl <->i80_device (spi_device) <->spi-layer <-> i80_spi_master

i80_device would implement the message logic as described below
i80_spi_master would control the registers

the write-enable/read-enable bit settings can be determined by the direction
of the transfer, but how do I determine the value to set for RS?

The idea I had was to set bits_per_word to n+1, i.e. the register has 18 data
bits and I would use the 19th bit do transmit the required RS setting.

Does this look at least halfway plausible?

Thanks
Heiko

[rest of this mail included as I have just added spi-devel to the recipients]