SubjectRe: [rfc patch 4/6] memcg: reclaim statistics
On 05/17/2011 03:42 AM, Johannes Weiner wrote:

> It does hierarchical soft limit reclaim once triggered, but I meant
> that soft limits themselves have no hierarchical meaning. Say you
> have the following hierarchy:
>
> root_mem_cgroup
>
> aaa bbb
>
> a1 a2 b1 b2
>
> a1-1
>
> Consider aaa and a1 had a soft limit. If global memory arose, aaa and
> all its children would be pushed back with the current scheme, the one
> you are proposing, and the one I am proposing.
>
> But now consider aaa hitting its hard limit. Regular target reclaim
> will be triggered, and a1, a2, and a1-1 will be scanned equally from
> hierarchical reclaim. That a1 is in excess of its soft limit is not
> considered at all.
>
> With what I am proposing, a1 and a1-1 would be pushed back more
> aggressively than a2, because a1 is in excess of its soft limit and
> a1-1 is contributing to that.

Ying, I think Johannes has a good point. I do not see
a way to enforce the limits properly with the scheme we
came up with at LSF, in the hierarchical scenario above.

There may be a way, but until we think of it, I suspect
it will be better to go with Johannes's scheme for now.

--
All rights reversed

  Last update: 2011-05-17 15:59    [W:0.049 / U:0.352 seconds]