lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2011]   [May]   [16]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
Patch in this message
/
From
Date
SubjectRe: [PATCH] regulator: Simplify MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS/MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS/MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS macros
Hi MyungJoo,

2011/5/16 함명주 <myungjoo.ham@samsung.com>:
> Hello,
>
>> Sender : Axel Lin<axel.lin@gmail.com>
>> Date : 2011-05-16 15:52 (GMT+09:00)
>> Title : [PATCH] regulator: Simplify MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS/MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS/MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS macros
>>
>> Looks like the original macro implementation assumes the caller pass the
>> parameter starting from 1.
>> Since now we have +1 operation from all the caller, it would be easier to
>> assume the caller pass the parameter starting from 0.
>> Then we can simplify the +1 operation from the caller and then -1 operation
>> in the macro implementation.
>>
>> I think this change also improves readability.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Axel Lin
>
> Well, I'd rather just change the for loop statement for your purpose, which I also agree.
>
> The reason I've used BUCKxDVS1 as the starting point is because of the register names; register names of BUCKxDVS starts from 1, not from 0.

Ok. I got your point for the implementation.

> Thus, in order to maintain the consistency between the code and the chip manual, I'd rather not change that part, but change like this:
>
> ---
> diff --git a/drivers/regulator/max8997.c b/drivers/regulator/max8997.c
> index b1c1444..aad85e4 100644
> --- a/drivers/regulator/max8997.c
> +++ b/drivers/regulator/max8997.c
> @@ -1031,12 +1031,12 @@ static __devinit int max8997_pmic_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)
> }
>
> /* For the safety, set max voltage before setting up */
> - for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
> - max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS(i + 1),
> + for (i = 1; i <= 8; i++) {
> + max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS(i),
> max_buck1, 0x3f);
> - max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS(i + 1),
> + max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS(i),
> max_buck2, 0x3f);
> - max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS(i + 1),
> + max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS(i),
> max_buck5, 0x3f);
> }
>
> --
> 1.7.4.1
>
> How about this one?
>
But it doesn't apply for below case because max8997->buck1_vol[i] is
start from 0.


for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS(i),
max8997->buck1_vol[i],
0x3f);

Maybe consider to remove the macro may make things simpler.
If you agree, I'll send a v2.

diff --git a/drivers/regulator/max8997.c b/drivers/regulator/max8997.c
index b1c1444..10d5a1d 100644
--- a/drivers/regulator/max8997.c
+++ b/drivers/regulator/max8997.c
@@ -1032,11 +1032,11 @@ static __devinit int max8997_pmic_probe(struct
platform_device *pdev)

/* For the safety, set max voltage before setting up */
for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
- max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS(i + 1),
+ max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS1 + i,
max_buck1, 0x3f);
- max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS(i + 1),
+ max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS1 + i,
max_buck2, 0x3f);
- max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS(i + 1),
+ max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS1 + i,
max_buck5, 0x3f);
}

@@ -1113,13 +1113,13 @@ static __devinit int max8997_pmic_probe(struct
platform_device *pdev)

/* Initialize all the DVS related BUCK registers */
for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
- max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS(i + 1),
+ max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS1 + i,
max8997->buck1_vol[i],
0x3f);
- max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS(i + 1),
+ max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS1 + i,
max8997->buck2_vol[i],
0x3f);
- max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS(i + 1),
+ max8997_update_reg(i2c, MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS1 + i,
max8997->buck5_vol[i],
0x3f);
}
diff --git a/include/linux/mfd/max8997-private.h
b/include/linux/mfd/max8997-private.h
index 69d1010..5ff2400 100644
--- a/include/linux/mfd/max8997-private.h
+++ b/include/linux/mfd/max8997-private.h
@@ -311,10 +311,6 @@ enum max8997_irq {
MAX8997_IRQ_NR,
};

-#define MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS(x) (MAX8997_REG_BUCK1DVS1 + (x) - 1)
-#define MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS(x) (MAX8997_REG_BUCK2DVS1 + (x) - 1)
-#define MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS(x) (MAX8997_REG_BUCK5DVS1 + (x) - 1)
-
#define MAX8997_NUM_GPIO 12
struct max8997_dev {
struct device *dev;

Regards,
Axel
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2011-05-16 10:07    [W:0.040 / U:5.560 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site