SubjectRe: [rfc patch 0/6] mm: memcg naturalization
* Johannes Weiner <hannes@cmpxchg.org> [2011-05-12 16:53:52]:

> Hi!
>
> Here is a patch series that is a result of the memcg discussions on
> LSF (memcg-aware global reclaim, global lru removal, struct
> page_cgroup reduction, soft limit implementation) and the recent
> feature discussions on linux-mm.
>
> The long-term idea is to have memcgs no longer bolted to the side of
> the mm code, but integrate it as much as possible such that there is a
> native understanding of containers, and that the traditional !memcg
> setup is just a singular group. This series is an approach in that
> direction.
>
> It is a rather early snapshot, WIP, barely tested etc., but I wanted
> to get your opinions before further pursuing it. It is also part of
> my counter-argument to the proposals of adding memcg-reclaim-related
> user interfaces at this point in time, so I wanted to push this out
> the door before things are merged into .40.
>
> The patches are quite big, I am still looking for things to factor and
> split out, sorry for this. Documentation is on its way as well ;)
>
> #1 and #2 are boring preparational work. #3 makes traditional reclaim
> in vmscan.c memcg-aware, which is a prerequisite for both removal of
> the global lru in #5 and the way I reimplemented soft limit reclaim in
> #6.

A large part of the acceptance would be based on what the test results
for common mm benchmarks show.

--
Three Cheers,
Balbir

  Last update: 2011-05-16 12:37    [W:0.195 / U:1.372 seconds]