SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] isci merge candidate
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com> wrote:

> [ Linus, only cc'ing you in case a new-driver merge exception can be
> entertained at this very late date.  James made clear he needed this in
> advance of rc7, and this still needs Christoph's ack, but I would be
> remiss not to send this after reaching this milestone...]

So I can merge new drivers at any stage in the development cycle, but
I only do that for drivers with mass appeal.

What's the likely user base of this? Why is it a SCSI driver rather
than SATA? Why is it so f&*%ing big?

The size may be a massive improvement over what it has been, but if
this is some kind of replacement for the current AHCI situation, it's
still a massive step backwards.

So what does that mean in practical terms:

"This driver supports the 6Gb/s SAS/SATA capabilities of the upcoming
Intel(R) C600 series chipset family"

exactly? What's the market for that C600 series? Does that chipset
also do some AHCI emulation capability (making this driver be a "if
you need full capabilties thing" etc) Yadda yadda.

I don't want to merge 30k lines of driver that nobody will practically
speaking actually use.

Linus