SubjectRe: [BUG] perf: bogus correlation of kernel symbols
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:50:23PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Dunno, i would not couple them necessarily - certain users might still have
> access to kernel symbols via some other channel - for example the System.map.

That always made this security by obscurity feature seem pointless for the bulk
of users to me. Given the majority are going to be running distro kernels,
anyone can find those addresses easily no matter how hard we hide them on the
running system.

Unless we were somehow introduced randomness into where we unpack the kernel
each boot, and using System.map as a table of offsets instead of absolute addresses.

Dave

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans