    SubjectRe: [BUG] perf: bogus correlation of kernel symbols
    From
    From: Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com>
    Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:37:41 -0400

    > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 02:06:30PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
    > > I hate this too, and I think it's absolutely rediculous.
    > >
    > > Also, like you, I lost an entire afternoon trying to figure out why
    > > this started happening.
    > >
    > > I wish we could revert this change.
    >
    > At least it can be permanently disabled..
    >
    > echo kernel.kptr_restrict = 0 >> /etc/sysctl.conf

    Regardless, what to do about all of the "perf is broken" reports?

    First off, perf can find out whether this madness exists, and it
    should by default print out a warning in this situation instead of
    knowingly emitting garbage kernel event information.

    "I'm going to knowingly give you bad data, and I'm not even going to
    let you know about it."

    It's really crazy that we give people these incredibly powerful tools
    and they don't even work properly by default.

    We've been exposing kernel pointers for 20 years, nobody's grandmother
    died because of it.

    This is very "Animal Farm" the way we're gradually losing little bits
    of functionality, time and time again, over this "kernel pointer
    exposure" issue.

    Are we going to be like animals and just accept the totality of this,
    or are we going to be outraged enough to push back on stuff like perf
    actually working properly?

      Last update: 2011-05-12 21:03    [W:0.054 / U:35.132 seconds]